Terms of Reference – Social Media Comedy Videos at BBC Media Action
- Company: BBC Media Action
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Advertising/Media Jobs in Zambia
Terms of Reference
Social Media Comedy Videos for the Tikambe Natulande Project
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. Our aim is to inform, connect, and empower people around the world. We work in partnership to provide access to useful, timely, reliable information. We help people make sense of events, engage in dialogue, and take action to improve their lives. Audiences are at the heart of all we do. Our audiences include the journalists and others we train, as well as listeners and viewers. Our work is built on insights from our research and engagement with communities.
BBC Media Action is registered as an International Non-Governmental Organisation (INGO) in Zambia and has its Secretariat in London, UK.
The Tikambe Natulande project is a youth led sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR) initiative, which combines the skills of Restless Development and BBC Media Action to aim at ensuring that young people (primarily between the ages of 14-24 years old) in Zambia are less vulnerable to sexual and reproductive health (SRH) risks in intervention areas.
Tikambe’s goal is that young people in Lusaka, Copperbelt, Central and Northern provinces are empowered to demand greater government accountability in relation to their SRHR needs and to practice healthier SRH behaviours.
With this background, Tikambe would like to engage the services of a popular comedian to produce videos for use on Social Media spaces which include Facebook, and Instagram with a guided theme on sexual reproductive health and rights. The comedian or comedians should be capable of developing content based and relating them to trending issues on SRHR and access to information in a lively and engaging manner to educate, entertain and inform the audiences.
With guidance from the Tikambe team, the comedian will script, produce, edit, and share 5 videos, one comedy video on a given theme, in relation to what is trending and relevant to younger audiences targeted by the project.
Rationale for the selection criteria the comedian:
- Should be capable of connecting with young people between the ages of 18 to 24 years.
- Should be popular online, with an impressive social media following and not less that 1K engagements on their posts.
- Should break down Sexual Reproductive health rights issues in a witty and comical way and use terms that young people can relate to so that S/he can engage, entertain, educate, and inform the target audience on their sexual reproductive health and rights.
- Ability to align themes in the videos to the core project objectives of motivating, engaging, and promoting the voices of youth and the right to access information to help them make informed decisions.
Specification for service
The comedian will script, produce, edit, and share with BBC MA 5 videos. The videos shall be no more than 5 minutes. BBC Media Action will not interfere in the creative process but reserves the overall oversight role of ensuring that the videos align with its editorial policy. Furthermore, BBC Media Action shall provide guidance on what themes or topics the comedian will focus on.
The comedy videos shall be used on social Media spaces which include Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
In this vein, BBC Media Action will engage the comedian to come up with ideas, script and contextualise videos in line with the given topics. While BBC MA will not interfere in the creative process, or artistic expression thereof, we shall reserve the right to ensure the content of the videos is in line with our values and editorial standards and does not in any way whatsoever conflict with our values, ethics and standards.
- The comedian will entertain and convey satirical and comical messages on the given theme in a way that resonates with the target audience
- The comedian will collaborate with BBC Media to ensure the messages being conveyed are contextualised. As such, both parties are expected to discuss the content of the videos, respective roles, and expectations.
Delivery period: Within 14 days of signing the contract.
Budget: K5,000 per video.
Method of Application
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.