SOS Aunt x4 at SOS Children’s Villages Zambia
- Company: SOS Children’s Villages Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Chipata - Livingstone
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Zambia
SOS Aunt – Livingstone, Chipata and Lusaka (4)
Assisting SOS Mothers between family homes on relief basis and supporting them to provide care and protection, relieving those who are on leave or who require assistance. Further assists SOS Mother to provide the best possible upbringing for the children under their care.
- Supports in managing the family house in line with the organisation’s mission, policies, strategies and available resources.
- Supports children in a family house in all their developmental activities.
- Builds positive relationships with children, other families and the community.
- Assists to manage family homes in a conducive environment for children’s development.
Cooperation and reporting relationships
- Report directly to a Village Social Worker
- Receive additional guidance and support from the Alternative Care Coordinator and Village Administrator and Accountant
- Work in close cooperation with other key support co-workers (e.g. Youth Leaders, Finance, Administration and other Programme staff) within the ‘integrated approach’.
Priority tasks & responsibilities
Act as an Assistant to SOS Mothers
a) Work together with the SOS Mother, as a “team” for the best interests of the children
b) Take the role of the SOS Mother whenever she is absent from the Family Home. During the Mother’s leave or other days off from the village, must live within the Family Home and perform all of the Mother’s functions.
Assist the SOS Mother in Ensuring the well-being of the children
a) Be sensitive to and understanding of the needs of the children
b) Assist the Mother in ensuring the physical, emotional, intellectual, social and spiritual well-being of the child
c) Know and Promote the rights and responsibilities of a child
d) Spend quality time with each individual child, as agreed in her assigned households
e) Use appropriate parenting skills for each child’s development
Support the SOS Mother in Guiding the Children to take responsibility
a) Help to ensure that the children do the tasks which they are assigned
b) Allow the children to solve their own problems, as appropriate
c) Encourage further education and training
Assist the SOS Mother with Household tasks
a) Assist the SOS Mother to carry out household tasks, so that the household is maintained in excellent condition and quality time is available to the children
b) Learn how to correctly use and care for the household equipment and appliances
c) Support the mother in training the children to assist with household chores
d) Maintain a high standard of safety
Be an “Aunt” to the Village Children
a) Show healthy affection to the children
b) Be available for the children, offering them advice, guidance and support through difficult times in their lives
c) Practise basic life and communication skills, such as conflict management, self-esteem building and forming relationships
d) Provide a positive role model for the children. Behave in an exemplary manner
Develop her own Personal Well-Being
a) Maintain personal physical, mental, social, intellectual and spiritual well-being
b) Take responsibility for her actions, attitude, behaviour and ongoing development
c) Maintain a balanced life
Mix with and contribute to the Community
a) Create opportunities to integrate herself and the children into the surrounding community.
b) Be familiar with local cultures
c) Be an active contributing member of the Village community and the Village staff team.
Understand the SOS organisation
a) Become familiar with the background, philosophy, principals and structure of the SOS organisation
b) Understand the different roles of the SOS staff team members
c) Be ready to share the SOS story with visitors, guests and other interested persons
d) The role of aunties needs to be reviewed in view of alternative care integrated into the communities. We could maintain aunts for families which remain in the village and adopt mother assistants for integrated families.
Qualifications and Experience
- Full Grade 12 School Certificate.
- Must be 35 years old or above
- Any mothers training attended/certificate in child care will be added advantage
- Must have biological children who are not less than 15 years old
- Willing to reside in the SOS facility/home until retirement.
- Mature with flexibility to work in a child care environment
(Must-have all of the below or show capability to develop within 1-2 years at most)
- Understanding of child rights issues: knowledge in the area of child rights, child protection, child development and family & community development
- Children development: facilitation skills to build the capacities of children.
- Communication & networking skills: ability to foster effective relationships among children in a family house
- Collaboration: driven to work with others.
Method of ApplicationTo apply for this job email your details to [email protected]
Closing Date : 26th September , 2022.