Geospatial Technologist at Akros Research
- Company: Akros Research
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Zambia
Akros is a cutting edge organization that establishes data-driven systems that improve the health and wellbeing of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the health systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. Find out more about Akros at www.akros.com
Akros supports multiple governments to use geospatial technology to plan and implement health services including health surveillance, response and analytics. We require a geospatial technologist to support our geographic information system (GIS) and spatial intelligence work. This is a remote position, with periodic travel to support deployments. You will work closely with our program teams (based across Africa), as well as our software development team (based in South Africa).
The geospatial technologist will provide specific support to geoenable health campaign microplanning and intervention delivery processes working with both the Akros team, as well as country stakeholders we support. The technologist will also support digitization and enumeration work, both development of end products for use in health service planning, but also training country-based teams necessary skills to deliver these products.
- Produce data layers from satellite and other earth observation products
- Work with and manage large databases of spatial data at project, regional and global scales
- QC (vectors and raster data) and compilation of datasets from vector and raster inputs.
- Conduct GIS technical capacity building for Akros personnel and our counterparts
- Assist with GIS related database configuration for various health information systems including DHIS2 and Reveal (www.revealprecision.com)
- Masters in Geoinformatics / GIS, alternatively 5+ years of moderate to advanced geospatial analytical work experience
- Good foundation knowledge and understanding of remote sensing and GIS concepts
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Exceptional communication skills (including presentations) in written and spoken English.
- Experience in using QGIS and ArcGIS
- Self-motivated and a strong problem solver
Term and Location
This position is a remote position with occasional travel on an as needed basis.