Conservation Coordinator at Biocarbon Partners
- Company: Biocarbon Partners
- Location: Zambia
- State: Mfuwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
BCP is a leading African conservation company which aims to generate sustainable conservation finance through the forest carbon markets. We are working with Community and Government partners to help improve the conservation management over 1 million hectares of globally significant wildlife habitats in Zambia, and to benefit 225,000 people. Most of the project areas are located in Game Management Areas bordering strategic National Parks in Eastern and Lusaka Province, governed by management agreements between local communities, the Government of Zambia, and BCP.
BCP seeks a dynamic, talented, hard-working individual to serve as a Conservation Coordinator within field-based REDD+ projects in the Luangwa-Zambezi Ecosystem. This role oversees conservation activities across an area of approximately 800,000 hectares of forests of global biodiversity significance. Most of these areas are located in Game Management Areas bordering strategic National Parks, governed by agreements between local communities, the Government of Zambia, and BCP. The primary role shall be achieving forest protection, improved biodiversity conservation and land management operations in REDD+ zones. The objective is to set up and manage conservation interventions with a long-term objective. This position involves frequent travel for extended time periods to remote and rural forest areas with limited infrastructure or amenities. The position requires consummate diplomacy skills and the ability to develop agreements and build effective teams.
PRIORITIES WE WILL TRUST YOU WITH.
- Develop Site Operations Plans, which guide effective security systems and land management plans, in close association with partners, including local communities, and to oversee the implementation thereof.
- Lead and oversee all aspects of landscape-level REDD+ management and planning processes, including implementing land management, security operations, capacity building, effective community and stakeholder engagement, forest monitoring coordination, biodiversity monitoring systems, effective Government engagement, and infrastructure development.
- Limiting deforestation within REDD+ Zones in BCP sites in Lusaka and Eastern Provinces.
- Ensure effective conservation sensitization and outreach through BCP’s Community Engagement Team.
- 100% effective conservation asset management.
- Ensure ongoing community commitment to and sound enforcement of all signed REDD+ Agreements and operations plans at all sites.
- Build effective forest protection teams working with Government partners.
- Oversee the refinement of, and implementation of, a fire management plan at all sites.
- The development and implementation of regular standard operating procedures (SOPs), systems, and policies that support BCP’s vision of continental-class conservation management.
ALLIANCE BUILDERS WANTED.
- Demonstrated minimum 10 years’ experience in African conservation.
- A valid Pilot’s License, with ground-truthing and mapping flight experience a definite added advantage
- University Degree in Social Conservation/Natural Resources Management Preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing procedures and systems that work in challenging conservation settings.
- Strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills, and a skilled diplomat effective in inter-cultural settings.
- Strong management and organizational skills with demonstrated operational and leadership acumen.
- Advanced computer literacy (plus the use of GPS and Android devices).
- Valid driver’s license and demonstrated ability to drive in all seasons in rural conservation areas.
- Demonstrated conservation planning skills.
WHAT YOU’LL TELL YOUR CONTACTS.
Helping to conserve over 565 million trees, and with close to 7 million tons of carbon emissions reduced to date, both BCP implemented REDD+ Projects have been verified against the Verified Carbon Standard, the world’s leading voluntary Greenhouse Gas program. In 2021, the LZRP is the only project in Africa to receive 8 consecutive verifications and only the second in the World to achieve this! While it is also Africa’s first CCBA Triple Gold Project, with ‘Gold’ level verification against all three categories of the Climate, Community, and Biodiversity Standard (CCBA) for its exceptional climate change impacts and community and biodiversity benefits. The LCFP has achieved CCBA Triple Gold Validation for exceptional community impact. Awarded Best Individual Offsetting Project and Impact Monitoring Report in the World in the Environmental Finance Voluntary Carbon Markets Ranking 2021, and ranked in the top 0.5% of B Corps globally 2021, BCP offers carbon offsets with World class benefits. Under our 30 – Cubed goal, by 2030, BCP is set to deliver on our goal of avoiding 30 million tons of emissions annually, benefitting 3 million people, and partnering with communities across 30 million acres of globally significant wildlife habitat.
WE EVEN DO BENEFITS DIFFERENTLY.
As an equal opportunity employer, a competitive salary will be offered, plus training, plus the potential for performance bonuses, plus travel opportunities for work, plus health benefits, plus a great work culture, plus career growth, plus working with a diverse and committed team.
Candidates interested in joining an innovative and high-performance team, and working towards doing amazing things in conservation technology and livelihoods, please send a CV, a cover letter, 3 reference contacts, and anything else that makes your application stand out by email to [email protected] with Conservation Coordinator – Mfuwe in the subject line. Please also send anything else that will help your application stand out.
Females are encouraged to apply.
Applications are accepted from 6th September 2022 until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
If an applicant receives no response within a 30-day period, they should consider their application unsuccessful.
Method of ApplicationTo apply for this job email your details to [email protected]
Closing Date : 9th September , 2022.