Class Teacher at Kids Alive Zambia
- Company: Kids Alive Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Mongu
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Zambia
Who we are
Kids Alive (www.kidsalive.org) is a child focused and Christ-centered organization with the belief that every child, even those with the most challenging needs, is a priority to God, because too many are overlooked, unheard, exploited, and threatened. Kids Alive International is a nonprofit organization established in 1916 with programs which meet the physical, social, emotional, educational and spiritual needs of children within residential settings while strengthening and empowering families to create a safe and secure environment for children. Kids Alive Zambia (KAZ) has been operating in the country since 2001 with its legacy programs; the Kids Alive Academy, Trauma Informed Care and Residential support. Currently KAZ is also implementing the Spring of Life program addressing issues of circumstantial children; known to us as the “forgotten child,” the Ray of Hope program focusing on the plight of the street children, lastly the Isaiah program focusing on sexually abused children. Our mission is the call of Isaiah 1:17, to serve these children by constantly learning to do good, earnestly seeking justice, standing up to what oppresses them, and advocating for their rights. Our vision is to see the whole range of children’s needs met, their lives transformed, and for them to become productive citizens and effective Christian witnesses in their own societies.
Kids Alive Academy (KAA) is seeking to recruit a Primary Teacher and Early Childhood Education Teacher that has experience teaching grades 1-3 and pre-grade respectively. Must be hardworking, ambitious, and agile as well as a self-starters with strong Christian values and ready to take on the challenge of educating some of the most vulnerable children and ensure that they receive a good Christ centered education that which will transform them forever to be responsible and good citizens. The school is further seeking the services of a Cook, who will manage to cook for over 500 learners and must have some experience in operating kitchen equipment such as broilers and other kitchen utensils. Lastly the services of a Driver to facilitate both the school, Lilato Children’s Village and Trauma Informed Care team.
Location for all the positions: Mongu (Mongu residents and surrounding areas are encouraged to apply, preferably with good understanding and spokenSilozi, mbunda and English.
1. Class Teacher
As Class Teacher ensure assessment of learners by adequately preparing for class. Ensure academic progress is evaluated through some of the best tools and methodologies as well as adherence and apply efficiently health, safety, child protection and safeguarding standards and policies. As a Teacher, make a positive contribution towards the organization’s Christian ethos and witness through modeling of Christ centered character and adherence to child safeguarding processes.
Major Responsibilities but not limited to;
- To teach children on subjects assigned to the teacher according to the Ministry of Education Curriculum
- To assess specific educational, emotional and behavioral needs of individual children.
- To help maintain a high standard of discipline in the school.
- To produce visual displays of children’s work and endeavor to help create an attractive, stimulating learning environment
- To keep appropriate records of children’s progress and systematically evaluate progress.
- To undertake follow up visits to the home/s of the learner when necessary in collaboration with the counseling and guidance teacher as well as the Trauma Care team in case of any incidences
- Develop and issue educational content including notes, tests, and assignments as well as assess them.
- Supervise classes to ensure all learners are learning in a safe and productive environment.
- Organize supplies and resources for teaching and presentations.
- Deliver personalized instruction to each student by encouraging interactive learning.
- Plan and implement various educational activities and events.
- Ensure your classroom is clean and orderly.
- Prepare and distribute periodic progress reports and term report forms.
- Attend parent-teacher meetings (PTAs) and create an interactional space for parent/guardians of learners.
- Undertake any reasonable additional responsibilities at the request for the supervisor, school management or the Kids Alive management through the supervisor
Spiritual growth among Learners and staff
- Provide practical and visible spiritual leadership and mentorship to fellow staff and learners.
- Provide an inspired hope centered on Christ to learners under Kids Alive programing through creating spaces for scriptural reflections learners.
- Ensure facilitation of Christ based trauma informed care for learners entrusted in your care.
- Proactively create safeguarding safe spaces for learners and report any child protection incident
Essential Skills & Competencies
- Strong Christian with unquestionable religious disposition.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical thought processes with superb attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to teach in English and Lozi
- Must be able to speak Lozi and any other local languages fluently
- Strong teaching skills and abilities with ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to manage time, prioritize projects, and carry them through to completion.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with a positive attitude, high level of self-motivation.
- Ability to teach learners how to read.
- Ability to prepare and be creative in displaying learner friendly classroom.
- Ability to work in a team
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum Diploma in Primary school teaching, degree in primary teaching is added advantage;
- Accredited Diploma or Certificate in Early Childhood Education.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience as a primary school teacher. Fresh graduates will also be considered with demonstrated zeal and agility to take on the challenge in teaching career.
- Registered and licensed with Teaching Council of Zambia. (TCZ)
- Must demonstrate sound, strong knowledge of phonics.
- Holder of a valid practicing license
- Understanding and appreciation of the challenges of working in an international organization or NGO environment, respecting and understanding the diversity of people and cultures
- In-depth knowledge of teaching methods and legal educational procedures.
Method of Application
Kindly note that only candidates who meet the above specifications and competencies should apply and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All hard Copy applications must be addressed to;
The Senior Manager Human Resources & Safeguarding
C/O The Head Teacher
Kids Alive Academy
P.O Box 30567
Katongo Community Area
Or Send hard Copy applications addressed to;
The Senior Manager Human Resources & Safeguarding
C/O The Social Worker
Lilato Children’s Village
P.O Box 30567
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Kids Alive does not accept any solicitation of any form and does not ask for any payments to warrant employment, we maintain a zero tolerance for any form of discrimination.