Zambia Dairy Transformation Programme Job Vacancy : Smallholder Dairy Field Extension Officer
Welcome to JobwebZambia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Zambia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to secu[email protected]
- Company: Zambia Dairy Transformation Programme
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Zambia Dairy Transformation Programme (ZDTP) is a five-year New Zealand funded programme which focuses on supporting smallholder dairy farmers to improve their productivity, milk quality and linkage to urban markets, driving the further commercialisation of the smallholder based Zambian dairy sector.
We currently have an opening for a Field Extension Officer to work intensively with farmers in a smallholder dairy cooperative based in Kamfinsa,Kitwe. The role requires daily engagement with smallholder dairy farmers through farm visits and individual advice, in addition to disseminating information and practices through demonstrations and training events.
As a Field Extension Officer, you will spend much of your time working directly with farmers, but will also be part of the wider ZDTP extension team which has officers based in Chibombo, Kabwe, Luanshya, Kitwe and Mufulira. You will also benefit from support provided by a team of national and international experts who will build both your capacity and that of the smallholder farmers.
The role is full time with an initial contracting period until 31 December 2019 with a contract extension until December 2020 expected if on the job performance is satisfactory and funding available.
You will be required to ride a motorbike and must have a valid Zambian motorbike licence prior to taking up employment.
The Field Extension Officer reports directly to the Field Extension Manager and will work closely with them to deliver all farm extension activities according to the Programme requirements.
The Field Extension Officer will be responsible for the delivery of all farm extension activities and he/she will assist the Field Extension Manager to build the capacity of smallholder dairy farmers, to help them implement and sustain the new approaches introduced by the Programme. In essence, he/she will be the vital link between farmers and the programme, to ensure knowledge and information is shared to improve productivity and sustainability.
Effectively perform all of the following functions required to support the ZDTP, including but not limited to:
- Ongoing development and delivery of all farm extension activities (farm visits, workshops, demonstrations) which align with farmer needs;
- Working closely with other stakeholders to ensure coordinated extension support is provided to smallholder farmers within your operational area;
- Working closely with communities, cooperatives and farmers to assist them in the rapid adoption of the ZDTP technologies and activities;
- Submitting regular field activity reports such as monthly field reports and inputting into wider organisational reports;
- Contributing to ZDTP field monitoring activities;
- Assisting the Field Extension Manager with developing annual field extension work plans and monthly operating reports;
- Working in a productive and collaborative way with the ZDTP management team, including both local nationals and international staff on all issues relating to programme field activities;
- Championing the Plan-Do-Check-Adjust (PDCA) management approach as part of the continuous improvement process;
- Ensuring all activities, project documents and reports are completed in a timely manner;
- Taking joint responsibility for the health and safety of all ZDTP team members at all times; and
- Carrying out other duties to the required standard as requested.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Certificate of Agriculture or related life science from a reputable university or institution;
- At least two years experience in agricultural production systems, preferably livestock and dairy;
- Knowledge and experience of agriculture extension systems;
- Knowledge of agribusiness development and farmer entrepreneurship;
- Knowledge of and experience in value chain development;
- Experience in working with smallholder farmers and stakeholder engagement;
- Prior experience in report writing;
- Strong interpersonal skills; commitment to team work and to working across disciplines, cultures and stakeholders at all levels;
- Initiative, attention to detail and known for wanting to do the best and provide practical solutions in difficult situations;
- Ability to be adaptable and willingness to learn;
- Strong focus in delivering quality outcomes;
- Proficient with MS Office applications (specifically Outlook, Excel, Word and Powerpoint);
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral in English and Bemba;
- Valid motorcycle license;
- A Diploma of Agriculture or related life science from a reputable university or institution;
- Solid understanding of animal nutrition;
- Experience with milk quality management and handling.
- Cover letter which outlines your suitability for the role;
- An up-to-date Resume/C.V. which clearly describes previous work history (including dates);
- A minimum of three (3) up-to-date referees.
How to ApplyQualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and CV to [email protected] by 17hrs on Sunday 17 March 2019, using Field Extension Officer in the subject line. Note:
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified;
- This vacancy is only open to Zambian Nationals;
- No in-person appointments or telephone calls will be entertained; and
- Applications from both genders are actively encouraged to apply.