Youth Participation Advisor at ActionAid
Welcome to JobwebZambia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Zambia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: ActionAid
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Zambia
Application deadline: 8/4/2019
Are you passionate about youth participation in democracy? Are you interested in supporting social movements and providing mentoring to young activist networks and organisations seeking to address social change? Can you support organisations to engage in national, regional and global advocacy? If so, you might be our future Youth Participation Advisor.
We highly encourage women to apply for the vacancy.
ActionAid Zambia (AAZ) is a member of the global ActionAid Federation. It is an ambitious organisation and you will become a key team member of its youth team and its Global Platform to support, connect and develop the capacity of youth and youth organizations working with AAZ.
As an Advisor, you will:
- Support Global Platform and Local Rights Programme (LRP) partners to intergrate youth-led and youth-focused activities in the area of participatory democracy and youth participation into their annual plans; and put in place mechanisms that promote continuity of youth issues at local and national levels.
- Undertake capacity-building in organisational development and resource mobilization for youth groups, organizations and movements working with AAZambia and the Global Platform Zambia.
- Support and conduct a stakeholder analysis of current youth players (both state and non state) for engagement on various issues of concern to the youth, in particular in relation to participatory democracy and youth participation.
- Conduct group training and provide individual coaching session to empower key youth with advocacy, lobbying and proactive dialogue skills for use in engagement with different leadership players in government.
- Mentor LRP staff in mobilization and facilitation techniques, especially on how best to engage the youth for collective action, as well as making use of local media/social media for outreach purpose.
- Motivate and support partners in participatory methods to involve youth in identifying potential advocacy issues and having them at the advocacy agenda.
- Cross-national learning and knowledge sharing initiatives. The Advisor will contribute to cross country knowledge sharing events – online and face to face on youth engagement, movement building etc.
- Support staff to map out critical issues for youth engagement at both national and LRP level within the One Campaign, in particular as it relates to participatory democracy and youth participation.
- Support Inspirator recruitments and inductions.
The job requires that you have:
- Experience of governance policy work and working in movements and campaigns, including social and political campaign experience and policy analysis.
- Experience of working with young people as equal partners.
- Strong analytical skills and good political judgement.
- Experience of participatory training methods and action research.
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills.
- Deep understanding of social change and its drivers.
- 5+ years’ experience and proven track record of movement-building and digital engagement.
- Full working knowledge of English.
Desired skills for the job include:
- Passionate about youth-led activism, flexible, and approachable.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision in a fast paced and youthful environment.
- Visionary strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to operate effectively in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
- Ability to work effectively within a team.
- Ability to analyse and understand the political context.
It is a prerequisite that you understand the role as an Advisor to support and build the capacity of others through coaching, mentoring and advancing the youth agenda through developing and introducing good practices. Moreover, you are expected to respect and genuinely value the role of others.
We offer you:
- A two-year contract with possibility of extension under the People4Change programme funded by Danida through ActionAid Denmark.
- A base in Lusaka with ActionAid Zambia, with regular travels in the country and to other countries in the ActionAid Federation.
- An opportunity to play a central role in strengthening ActionAid Zambia’s ability within the area.
- A comprehensive allowance package including relocation, housing and education allowance for children. The salary is 2,396 Euros monthly, including an obligatory pension scheme.
- A broad, professional network of passionate, national and international colleagues.
How to Apply
If you have specific questions about the position please contact Jeston Lunda at ActionAid Zambia, at [email protected].
We only receive applications through our recruitment system. As such, please use the link below to submit your application. Any applications not sent through the system will NOT be taken into consideration.
Application deadline: 4 August 2019 at midnight CEST.
Interviews will be held in the end of August.
Start date: October – November 2019 or as soon as possible, depending on work permit processes.
AADK is an inclusive workplace which welcomes a diversity of people and ideas. As an equal opportunity employer, AADK invite everybody with relevant qualifications, independently of any identity markers (such as race, skin colour, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, social or economic status or any other), to apply. AADK does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind. Any transgression in this regard should be addressed to [email protected].