Wildlife Specialist at WWF
- Company: WWF
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Zambia
Position: Wildlife Specialist
Grade: Professional Staff
Reports to: Wildlife Programme Manager
Supervises: Wildlife Conservation Officers
WWF-Zambia Wildlife Programme is seeking to employ a Wildlife Programme Specialist to be based in its office in Lusaka. This is a 2-year renewable contract position whose main responsibility is to support the Wildlife Programme Manager and WWF-Zambia to implement its programmatic, integrated, nation-wide approach to wildlife conservation in Zambia. As a “right-hand” position, he/she will play a critical role in programme coordination and technical support for field programme implementation. The incumbent will also play a critical role in managing field partners, coordinating sub-granted activities and providing a technical advisory role to strengthen WWF’s field based intervention under the wildlife programme. He/She is also expected to work closely with other programmes within WWF-Zambia and throughout its international network. The position will require regular travel to focal landscapes and may include international travel as well. The Programme Specialist will support field offices in the implementation of fieldwork, as necessary, and play a critical role in ensuring a landscape delivery approach is achieved . The incumbent will operate under the supervision of the Wildlife Programme Team leader.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties are around the following aspects
Programme planning, implementation and technical backstopping for the following:
- Conservation interventions for WWF Zambia’s priority species and landscapes including actions aimed at reducing illegal offtakes and wildlife trade, improved habitat management, development and implementation of and protected areas and species management strategies
- Applied research, biological and socio-economic monitoring interventions as long terms species and habitat studies, wildlife counts and socio economic surveys.
- Community based natural resources management interventions
- Influence Sustainable development pathways in and around protected areas systems
- Support the development of annual work plans and budgets
- Coordinate the sub granting processes and ensure effective and efficient implementation of sub granted actions by WWF Zambia’s partners
- Lead development of fundraising proposals to expand the Wildlife Programme;
- Coordinate the compilation of high quality technical reports and ensure timely submission to the Program Manager.
- Coordinate programme monitoring and information management processes including sub grant tracking, uploading program documents and other assets in appropriate repositories
- Participate in the network wildlife practice to inform country level solutions and strategies
- Coordinate the planning and implantation of wildlife conservation advocacy actions
- Provide technical input in the development of wildlife conservation communication contents
- Manage consultants engaged under the Wildlife Programme
- Supervise Wildlife Conservation Field Officers and interns, as required
- Effective partner management and engagement, including strategic partnership to promote the wildlife programme
- Conduct field visits as required to verify project activities relative to stated targets and to support and back-stop partners sub-granted work in priority landscapes;
- Support implementation of the WWF Environmental and Social Safeguards Framework (ESSF) in the key landscapes
- At least Masters-level or higher university degree in the field of Nature Conservation/Zoology or Biology, Wildlife or Natural Resource Management or Protected Areas Management ;
- A strong wildlife conservation background with at least 5 years of experience working in wildlife conservation – including substantial field work;
- At least 3 years of experience at project management level in a conservation programme with the ability to work independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Extensive experience in proposal writing, donor engagement, project cycle management;
- Experience working in large or international organizations settings where teams are remote and scattered;
- Broad knowledge and experience of wildlife and forest management with strengths in ecological and social research, wildlife management operations or Community Based Natural Resources Management (CBNRM)
- Experience with stakeholders’ engagement in Zambia would be a strong asset;
- Conversant with wildlife management landscape in Southern Africa.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Strong personal organisation and analytical skills;
- Strong skills in project planning and implementation, financing management and reporting;
- Good program management skills and proven initiative and meeting deadlines;
- Strong computer skills, experiences with project planning tools, GIS or remote sensing
- Accountability and a commitment to WWF’s mission and values
- Experience working in an international context and the ability to respect and work well with people from different cultures and backgrounds;
- Excellent communication skills in English – including writing, speaking and listening.
Internal: Works closely with Programme and Project and landscape Managers, both in Lusaka and in the field. Interacts with other WWF programmes and project managers in the region.
External: Interacts with government departments, research centers, universities and others.
Method of ApplicationEmail a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae clearly indicating the position applied for to [email protected] Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for receiving applications is 29th July, 2021.