Senior SHEQ Officer at Kagem Mining Ltd
- Company: Kagem Mining Ltd
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Oil and Gas Jobs in Zambia
A GEMFIELDS GROUP COMPANY
KAGEM IS SEEKING REMARKABLE CANDIDATES TO JOIN THE TEAM
Kagem Mining Limited, based in Lufwanyama, is the world’s single largest emerald producer. It covers an area of approximately 41 square kilometers and is in the central part of the Ndola Rural Emerald Restricted Area (“NRERA”), in the Copperbelt Province of Zambia. Kagem Mining prides itself in industry-leading health and safety standards, innovative approaches to engineering and cutting-edge management of unique geology.
Since 2008, Kagem is 75% owned by Gemfields, a world-leading supplier of responsibly sourced colored gemstones, in a model partnership with the Zambian government, through the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC). Kagem aims to emulate the values of Gemfields and operate in a way that contributes positively to the national economy, while taking a leading role in modernizing the colored gemstone sector and building sustainable livelihoods for the communities around the mine.
Kagem believes that colored gemstones should be mined and marketed by championing three key values – legitimacy, transparency and integrity.
Kagem Mining is seeking a remarkable candidate to join the team, in the position of Senior SHEQ Officer.
Reporting to: Manager – SHEQ
Job Purpose: To support the SHEQ Department and the Organisation in driving, implementing and monitoring of relevant and appropriate environmental, health and safety management strategies and programs to prevent adverse environmental impacts, injury and damage in line with statutory, Group and industry best practice requirements.
- Facilitating and conducting of inspection of facilities within the mine concession to monitor compliance with various HSE standards.
- Reviewing of and ensuring maxlrnum compliance with environmental permits and license conditions.
- Monitoring that the organisation meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to environment, health and safety.
- Providing technical engineering support in the planning of various projects throughout the Mine, to ensure compliance with environmental regulations and policies.
- Participate in, and oversee the conducting of environmental assessments ElAs and preparation of reports such as EISs and EPBs
- Assist with the completion and regular review of risk assessments for all work activities equipment and operations
- Launching investigations into incidents to identify causes and subsequently recommend and track corrective actions put in place to prevent recurrence.
- Attending to and responding to auditors’ and inspectors’ queries
- Carry out inspections, risk assessments, task observations in various workplaces and take appropriate action to ensure compliance.
- Facilitate and conduct emergency drills and make sure all emergency arrangements are in place and in good working order.
- Identify HSE training needs throughout the Company and make recommendations.
- Facilitate and perform prescribed environmental, industrial hygiene surveys and monitoring exercises using technical equipment, evaluate results, and take appropriate action to ensure compliance.
- Prepare various reports, documents and forms.
- Provide regular reports to the Manager on relevant HSE activities.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required by management from time to time.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Chernical Engineering, Environmental Science or any related, relevant field.
- 5 years previous experience in such a similar role with demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Professional approach, coupled with strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
- Effective handling of Environmental, Health and Safety investigations
- Experience of formulating, implementing and revising Environmental Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Knowledge of and experience in the Zambian mining sector
- Knowledge of and experience with ISO 14001 :2015; ISO 45001 :2018/0HSAS 18001:2007
- Holder Of a valid Engineering practicing license
- Member of Engineering Institution of Zambia
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimum supervision
- Excellent knowledge of Zambian Environmental, Health and Safety legislation
- Valid unrestricted class B driver’s license
The company provides single status accommodation at the mine site.
Method of Application
Send your applications (Covering Letter and CV only) to The Head-Human Resources by mail to; [email protected] Certificates will only be required at the interview stage.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date 8th November, 2019
Kagem Mining Ltd. PO. Box 21 657, Plot 6374, Corner Dr. Agrey & Kariba Roads Light Industrial area, Kitwe, Zambia
Company Registration Number: 12958 Zambia
T: (Kitwe) +260 (212) 212 101 F: (Kitwe) +260 (212) 216 324 T: (Mine) +260 (212) 735 000 M: (Mine) +260 (963) 251 183
Email: [email protected]