Senior Project Manager at UNOPS
- Company: UNOPS
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
|The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organisations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.Senior Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. Senior Project Manager acts on behalf of the Project Board to manage the project on an ongoing basis during the Implementation Stage. The main responsibility of a Senior Project Manager is to ensure that the project outputs are delivered within the specified project tolerances of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits. He/she is expected to meet the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
Senior Project Manager has the authority to assign, as per the Project Plan, work packages to Team Managers and approve deliverables produced by them.
The Senior Project Manager is responsible for creating the Implementation Plan, using the Project Initiation Document (PID), Legal Agreement and having a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders, to ensure the project(s) outputs are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the partner(s). Success of the project(s) and hence of the Project Manager/Senior Project Manager will be based on the defined Success Criteria.
|Project Information:UNOPS has been engaged by the Ministry of Agriculture in the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) to assist in offering a turnkey solution to remediate 10 dams (Chibalashi, Chikowa, Kanyika, Katembula, Kawiko, Makaba, Nabowa, Nachibanga, Ndondi and Ngolongozya dams) in Zambia.
UNOPS will carry out activities in the execution of the restructured Irrigation Development Support Project (IDSP) phase 1. These dams formed part of a previous project under Water Resources Development Project (WRDP) and were unsatisfactorily completed. They now present risks to the local communities and the Government and the World Bank (WB) want to have these dams secured and retrofitted. The remediation works will be financed by the WB through an existing IDSP, which is part of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Zambia. UNOPS services include planning (emergency preparedness) and design for 10 Dams, updating of safeguards documentation to comply with WB social and environmental policies for 10 Dams and tendering of the works.
In Phase 2, UNOPS will be implementing the identified solutions and lead on the remedial and rehabilitation works on the 10 dams. This will include the management of progress and quality of works execution by contractors on site, ensuring the implementation measures of all environmental and social risk mitigation measures as laid out in the Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs), which were prepared for each dam in Phase 1. Furthermore, UNOPS will ensure that the works are accompanied by strong stakeholder engagement and a solid Grievance Redress Mechanism (GRM) available for local communities to provide feedback and register their grievances in relation to the project.
The project is the only operational project in Zambia at this time and therefore the project team size is envisioned to contain approximately 30 team members of both Technical and Support backgrounds and functions. An office has already been established in Lusaka, however site offices will need to be established in the geographical locations that the overall scope has been clustered into.
Summary of functions:
1. Project Delivery and Performance
3. Monitoring and reporting
4. Stakeholder engagement
5. Quality assurance
6. Knowledge management and innovation
7. Personnel managementProject Delivery and Performance
Monitoring and reporting
Knowledge management and innovation
Impact of Results
- An advanced University Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Irrigation Engineering or other relevant discipline is required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Irrigation Engineering or other relevant discipline with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Professional certification from an accredited institution (PEng., CEng. , etc) is an asset
- Certification in Project Management (PRINCE2 Foundation, PMP, PMI, etc.) is an asset
- Completion of the UNOPS PMM, UNOPS PMM Infra Perspective and oneUNOPS Projects training within (3) months after signing this TOR is required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in managing civil works / civil engineering projects involving construction management is required.
- At least two (2) years of experience managing multi-disciplinary teams is required.
- Experience with the construction of Dams or large scale irrigation infrastructure is a distinct advantage.
- At least one (1) year of knowledge and experience in implementing international standards in Health and Safety in construction projects is required.
- Experience working in developing countries including in Africa is desirable.
- Vast experience in risk management for infrastructure development projects is highly desirable.
- Strong experience in contract management, especially FIDIC contracts is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS procedures is an advantage.
- Experience working with Government Ministries, Departments, Agencies on donor-funded projects is an asset.
- Experience in planning for infrastructure projects with proficiency in MS Project and Schedule Analysis is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 30th September , 2021.