Programme Finance Analyst at UNDP
Welcome to JobwebZambia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Zambia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
The Programme Finance Analyst is a member of the Programme Management Support Unit (PMSU), which provides management advisory support services, oversees quality assurance, strategic partnerships, timely reporting, resource mobilization, and ensures country office compliance with corporate policies.
The PMSU has been created in the Zambia country office to support the implementation of the 2016-2021 Country Programme Document (CPD) and to strengthen programme delivery. The team will directly support the Programme team with the design and formulation of projects, monitoring and evaluation, compliance and quality assurance and reporting on results, such as in the Results-oriented Annual Report (ROAR), the Integrated Workplan (IWP) and the Integrated Results and Reporting Framework (IRRF), etc. corporate platforms. The PMSU will ensure the quality of project management in the aspect of field monitoring, utilization of project resources, a harmonized approach to cash transfers, audit implementation and project evaluations. Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR) or PMSU Team Leader the Programme Finance Analyst is responsible for effective delivery of programme finance services ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services in the country office (CO). The Programme Finance Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach amongst the programme and operations teams consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Finance Analyst works in the PMSU team, in close collaboration with both Programme and Operations teams in the country office, with the Regional Service Center and UNDP HQ for resolving complex programme and operations-related issues, ensuring successful CO performance and compliance in programme delivery Finance compliance and budgetary issues.
Under the guidance of the DRR (or the head of the PMSU), the Programme Finance Analyst is responsible for leading and coordinating the project management functions of the UNDP programme. The Programme Finance Analyst will also provide support to project formulation and management, especially in Atlas (resource allocation, expenditure and delivery monitoring, compliance and quality assurance, as guided by the UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures.) She/he has an important role in the country office to support national implementation, helping building capacity of national implementing partners and fast track process to ensure timely delivery.
Summary of key functions:
- Support to the implementation of the country office Programme, including financial and result reporting;
- Country office programme finance management, effective cost recovery and oversight of programme budgets;
- Implementation of the resource mobilization strategy;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters including but not limiting to HACT and audit requirements
Ensures implementation of programme and operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system;
- Effective implementation of Results-based Management (RBM) tools;
- Ensure project initiation (pipeline monitor) and closure functions in Atlas;
- Periodic monitoring of corporate dashboards providing high quality of programme management analysis including identifying operational bottlenecks and solutions;
- Participation in all stages of Audit processes, providing substantive guidance to snr management and project staff;
- Country office Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management;
- Implementation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements;
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development projects;
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies;
- Aggregate report (internal and external i.e. donors) regularly prepared on activities outputs and outcomes basis.
Ensures effective country office programme finance management, ensures the optimal cost recovery focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development, implementation and follow up on Programme Portfolio Pipeline and Project Tree in Atlas;
- Programme financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources; Preparation and monitoring of development projects’ budgets;
- Implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system. Identification of operational and financial problems, proposal of solutions;
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management;
- Control of Combined Delivery Reports;
- Regular monitoring of the CO delivery;
- Manager level 1 in Atlas;Approval of vendors in Atlas;
- Control of Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects;
- Provision of advice on reporting, preparation of reports including donor reports;
- Periodic monitoring of dashboards and exceptions, identification of the remedial actions;
- Monitoring of cost-recovery bills preparation in Atlas for the services provided, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery;
- Participation in the projects’ audit, control on the follow up.
Ensures implementation of the resources mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the CO resources mobilization efforts;
- Design and monitoring of the DPC – Direct Project Costing – modality assuring that all project eligible adhering to the DPC policy and that project MOUs are signed accordingly;
- Monitoring of cost-sharing contributions;
- Advice to Programme and Project Staff on different donor reporting requirements; monitoring of financial reports to be submitted to donors.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Advice to Project staff on UNDP administrative and National Implementation Modality (NIM) reporting, in particular, on budgetary issues;
- Organization/conduct of training for the Operations/Project/Programme Staff on financial management and RBM;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme and programme finance;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Coordination with other units in the CO of the IWP and the ROAR exercises and other corporate planning and results reporting exercises;
- Provide support in business process mapping and the establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management;
- Coordination of all Audit exercises [DIM, direct implementation (DIM) and CO] among programme, project and operations staff and ensure compliance with audit policies, quality standards and timeframes;
- Coordination of the HACT exercise to ensure HACT compliance and full implementation;
- Regular monitoring of the Business Intelligence Dashboard (BID) and other corporate dashboards/reporting tools (eg. STREAM) for identification of gaps and recommendation of remedial action;
- Effective and efficient clearance and implementation of the cost-sharing trust fund agreements;
- Effective monitoring and analysis of programme financial resources and delivery;
- Ensure oversight of planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of the programme resources, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Regular monitoring of the CO delivery, resource mobilization, Target for Resource Assignment from the Core (TRAC) Allocation, revenue management and cost recovery;
- Periodic monitoring of dashboards and exceptions, identification of remedial actions;
- Effective Revenue Management.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Strong IT skills, Atlas
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- UNDP Accounting and Finance Training and Certification
- Prince2 training and certification
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Master’s degree, or Equivalent, in Accounting and Finance, Business, Public Administration, Economics.
- Five (5) years of relevant experience at the national and international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English, which is the official language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.