Database Geologist at First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FQM)
- Company: First Quantum Minerals Ltd (FQM)
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kalumbila
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Set up and manage geological database, including grade control.
- Make necessary changes to database structure as instructed by Senior Mine Geologist.
- Update the database with new data and supervise the Database Technician to update the database.
- Integrate drilling, sampling, assay, mapping and any other type of data that needs to be managed.
- Collaborate with Perth Office Database Administrator and DataShed personnel.
- Collaborate with mine, resource and project geologists.
- Ensure that written and approved procedures are created and updated for all aspects of the work undertaken.
- Supervise the subordinates and ensure that they perform according to standards and procedures.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of the geological database.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- Basic health and safety knowledge including job safety analysis.
- In-depth understanding of grade control.
- Modern day visualisation skills with tools like Microsoft Power BI is advantageous.
- Excellent I.T skills and mastery of Microsoft Office package.
- Familiarity with quality assurance/quality control.
- Competency in handling data base problems and ability to use updated data base systems.
Key Job Attributes
- Must be honest and not deviate from SOPs.
- Must be thorough and detail oriented.
- Must be dependable and self-motivated.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact with people of different cultures.
- Must be a fast learner.
- Must be bold, smart and driven.
- Effectively contribute where collaboration is required on team issues.
- Must be able to work under pressure and multi-task.
- Must be adaptable and a team player.
- Ability to supervise a small sized team.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal and operational responsibility for managing large and expensive datasets.
- Work safely and to regulations – setting an example for all personnel.
- Willing to do shift work.
Experience required to perform in this job
- At least 3 years’ work experience in database management in a mining or related industry.
- Experience with server management and QA/QC procedures.
- Structural geology and geo-chemistry experience is advantageous.
- Advantageous experience: NET (3.5+) application database client application development, LINQ, Dynamic SQL, using or administering geological database systems (GBIS, aQuire, DataShed), SharePoint 2010, GIS software (ArcView, MapInfo or Manifold).
- Full grade twelve (G12) certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology or related field.
- Earth Science degree (geology, geography) is an added advantage.
- Advantageous certifications: IBM Certified Database Administrator – DB2, Microsoft SQL Server database, Oracle, MySQL 5.7 Database Administrator, Oracle Database 12c Administrator, SAP HANA: SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA (Edition 2016).
- Valid SADC class B manual driver’s licence is preferred.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 12th August, 2022.