Consultant Community Engagement and Social Impact Study at Smart Forest Zambia
- Company: Smart Forest Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Consulting Jobs in Zambia
SMART FOREST ZAMBIA LIMITED
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Consultancy to conduct an Community Engagement and Social Impact Survey under the
Smart Forest Zambia “Luangwa game and Forest reserve project” funded by Prospero
Contract duration: 30 days between April and May 2021
Duty station: Lusaka
Deadline for Applications: 9th April 2021
Expression Of Interest For Evaluation
Smart Forest Zambia Limited is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOIs) from qualified individuals to
conduct a Community Engagement and Social Impact Study for the “Smart Forest Zambia
Luangwa Game and Forest Reserve Management Project” under a Prospero Zambia funded
grant. The candidates should not have been involved in the design or implementation of the
Smart Forest activities being assessed by the evaluation and will be required to sign a conflict-of-interest declaration.
Smart Forest Zambia Limited (SFZL) is a Zambian owned enterprise incorporated for the sole
aim of practicing sustainable forestry and game ranching practices and eco-tourism with the
participation of surrounding local communities. Smart Forest Zambia Limited envisages an
environment where forest and game reserve activities complement commercial ranching and
eco-tourism much for the benefit of local communities.
Smart Forest Zambia has qualified for a grant from Prospero Zambia for the establishment of a
game and forest reserve and as such seeks expertise in the three main pillars of the project
- Component 1. Development of a game and forest reserve business plan
- Component 2. Conduct and develop an Ecological study of the proposed reserve
- Component 3. Develop a community engagement model and participation exercise.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The consultant should have a team comprising of experts with an appropriate balance of
experience and expertise with experiences in field survey and assessments, social sciences,
and Community engagement. The team must undertake the following tasks:
- Stakeholder consultations and capturing of grievances from Surrounding Communities,
considering views from women, youth and men who are differentially impacted and
external communications from other stakeholders, ensure the report responses to, and
manages the issues appropriately.
- Provide means for adequate engagement with Affected Communities, considering the
different experiences of women and men, throughout the project cycle on issues that
could potentially affect them, suggest ways for the client to set up communication
channels with community to ensure that relevant environmental and social information
is disclosed and disseminated.
- Consideration of resources efficiency and pollution prevention through assessment of
project activities in each phase and use of raw materials and wastes management.
- Risk assessment to anticipate and avoid adverse impacts on the health and safety of
the Affected Community, considering the differential impacts on women and men,
during the project life from implementation phase to operational phase. The assessment
will also consider risks on the personnel and company property from routine and nonroutine circumstances. After risk identification and impact analysis, detailed mitigation
measures that are commensurate with their nature magnitude will be proposed.
- Community health, safety and security assessment will be conducted, considering the
different experiences and position of women and men, through consideration of
exposure to disease, infrastructure and equipment design and the handling of
- Identify other organisations working in the area which can collaborate with Smart forest
Scope of Work and Reporting
- Land tenure assessments and considerations of current land uses and potential
impacts of the project on the community, identify any people with a specific focus on
the position of women and men, who may be relocated as a result of the project and
extent of impact on their livelihoods.
- Assess if the project impacts on land, assets or access to both land and assets at any
phase of the project development.
- Grievance mechanism to be suggested and discussed between community (taking
into account the diverse views of women and men), and client and ensure a system
of communication is put in place so that all parties clearly understand their roles and
responsibilities throughout the project cycle.
- Undertake a comprehensive gender inclusive stakeholder consultation exercise that
involves project interested and affected persons as well as communities.
Solid Expertise in two or more subject matters and areas as highlighted above;
- A degree in social sciences or another relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years of working experience in SIA or social evaluation of development
- Strong project development and proposal writing skills of national scale programme;
- Substantial experience in development policy analysis involving using quantitative and
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Reference Letters
- 4 projects undertaken in past 5 years
A detailed SIA report with the following sections;
- Project Description
- Social impact assessment which will include stakeholder consultations input and
analysis including gender considerations, archaeological assessment
- Assessment methodology which will include field assessment methods and impact
identification and analysis criteria
- Impact identification, analysis and ranking
- Social Management plan and monitoring plans
- Annexures to the report will include –stakeholder consultation information and input,
- Working experience in government ministries/ departments and international
- To level knowledge on global good practices in resilient technologies especially in rural
housing in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking similar feasibility studies in Zambia and the
The purpose of the evaluation is to inform the Project team, the donors and all the Partners
and stakeholders involved about the project’s progress and performance towards attaining
the outcomes. evaluation will be a forward-looking evaluation aimed at identifying
challenges and opportunities for improving the Project during its implementation. It will also
serve at identifying good practices which can be used to support the design,
implementation and scaling up of similar initiatives, implemented by Smart Forest Zambia
under the Prospero Zambia grant.
Duration Of the Evaluation Process
The assignment will last indicatively 30 days to be worked between April and May 2021. The
Team Leader/Members will work from home and be expected to undertake travel as part
of this assignment, beginning with an inception briefing to be held Smart Forest Head
Method of ApplicationAll applications are to be delivered to the Smart Forest Head Office on Plot No 17, Lubambe Road, Northmead, Lusaka. Alternatively, submissions can be emailed to: [email protected] The envelope must clearly be marked “Expression of Interest to Conduct an Ecological Survey”
If you need further information, or have queries, please contact Smart Forest Zambia on: 0955 791 347/0979 818 96