Communications Officer at Netherlands Development Organization
Welcome to JobwebZambia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Zambia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Netherlands Development Organization
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Customer Service Jobs in Zambia
SNV Zambia has a diverse funding base which requires strong profiling and external communication of its activities to clients, partners, and donors. It is for this reason, SNV Zambia is looking for an enthusiastic and creative person to lead our external communication and public relations strategy who will give a boost to SNV’s information and profiling. The Communication Officer also provides support to the Agriculture, Renewable Energy, Water Sanitation and Hygiene Sector teams to effectively market their activities.
Purpose of the job:
The Communication Officer position aims to boost and maintain SNV Zambia’s information and profiling to clients, partners and donors. The officer will also be responsible for providing information at request and proactively to staff and external parties through the Country Director, aligned to the Communication strategy, aimed at high quality and consistent positioning of SNV Zambia in the external world and media. Furthermore the communication officer will also support the projects in developing their communication plans and developing publicity materials.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop a communications plan for the country and set clear objectives
- Support sector leaders to mainstream communication activities into sector and project strategies.
- Provide support and inputs to Corporate Communication strategies and processes.
- Assist projects develop and disseminate communications materials that increase their visibility
- Develop and spearhead the projects’ Communications Plans and develop publicity materials
- Support production of quarterly news magazines that highlight project activities
- Support projects document and share success stories with public media and social media sites
- Support projects develop short documentaries to be shared with media houses.
- Contribute Zambia content to corporate publications such as the annual report, magazines, brochures, leaflets and videos, in accordance with Global SNV branding and communication guidelines
- Coordinate, manage and monitor quality of SNV Zambia publications and external communications (such as capability statements, brochures, flyers, research reports)
- Compile and publish annual public reports
- Offer support in the development of policy briefs
- Develop and distribute quarterly newsletters
- Support projects in message development, content creation and media outreach.
- Manage and update the Knowledge Development Database and Information System.
- Manage the SNV website for Zambia and ensure it is up to date with regular news items, relevant publications and attractive stories about our work.
- Increase SNV’s presence on social media Support internal knowledge sharing through SharePoint.
- Training and coaching to SNV Zambia staff on effective external communication, photography and use of social media.
- Foster good working relationships and partnerships with media agencies, relevant correspondents and journalists;
- Support sector teams with external communications during SNV conferences, workshops and events;
- Exposure visits with donors and journalists.
Competencies, Capabilities and Attributes: (Skills/behavioural (Special Training or Competence) :
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Excellent communication (writing and oral) and editing skills, with experience in profiling an organization in an international setting;
- Proficiency in IT, with a good understanding of web design techniques and the use of various social media channels
- An eye for design.
- Knowledge of photo editing or design programmes is an asset.
- Collaborative, proactive, outgoing and ability to work independently and in a team.
Academic & professional qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of a Bachelor degree in mass communications, development studies or other appropriate degree;
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Familiarity and interest in development in Zambia;
- Good knowledge and skills in editing, writing, proof reading, design including web design;
- Fluent in speaking, reading, and writing English;
- Good communication and relational skills.
- Good computer literacy skills including use of Microsoft and Adobe (Publisher, InDesign, Illustrator, or Adobe Photoshop)