Commercial Officer at First Quantum Minerals
Welcome to JobwebZambia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Zambia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: First Quantum Minerals
- Location: Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtain product knowledge on various categories of products held as stock items
- Apply this knowledge to the identification, naming and cataloging of stock items
- Develop understanding of process plant and mobile equipment at KML
- Identify appropriate suppliers to utilize as subject matter experts for optimizing local, low cost and high quality/specification item procurement as best suits each class of item
- Review of min/max, unit of measure and other parameters of stock items to optimize value of inventory held onsite.
- Develop standards for preventative maintenance and storage of high-value components stored by the warehouse team.
- Improve stock item information to reduce unit costs and avoid further purchases from major equipment suppliers.
- Work with inventory, procurement, engineering teams and suppliers.
- Issue RFQ and award purchases for technical products and components.
- Improved item descriptions including photos, drawings and technical documents available in Pronto for specific groups of stock items.
- Reduced reliance on buying houses for generic items
- Reduced costs of procuring technical items
- Must have Grade 12 Certificate
- CIPS Advanced Certificate (Level3) or equivalent
- Degree in appropriate technical discipline
Experience and Skills
The Commercial Officer will require knowledge, skills and experience in the following areas:
- Communication with local and international suppliers and maintenance/operations personnel
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in Pronto
- Strong skills in MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Understanding of warehousing and inventory management
- A basic understanding of process plant, tools and equipment and associated components, parts and fabrication/manufacturing methods.
- Knowledge in basic health and safety
- Technical study in mechanical or electrical engineering discipline 2 years’ experience in a similar position
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Must be dependable and self-motivated
- Inquisitive and curious nature
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with people of different cultures
- Accurate and precise attention to detail
- Unquestionable integrity