Agroforestry and Climate Change Advisor at GIZ
Welcome to JobwebZambia.com. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Zambia. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
Under the Green Innovation Centres for the Agriculture and Food Sector project in Zambia (part of the Special Initiative ONE WORLD – No Hunger), GIZ provides support to the groundnut, soya bean and dairy value chains in Zambia’s Eastern and Southern Province, respectively. The effects of climate change are strongly felt by the 120,000 small-scale farmers that the project supports with capacity development. Agroforestry is already practiced in the Eastern Province for the legume production and shall also be introduced in the Southern Province to create more resilient fodder production systems for dairy farmers. International and national research organisation will be engaged providing cutting-edge research results.
The project is, therefore, seeking to recruit the following on a fixed-term contract:
Advisor: Agroforestry and climate change advisor (based in Lusaka)
- Co-develop and implement a fodder production concept including the use of agroforestry suitable for the climatic conditions in the Southern Province and for small-scale dairy farmers
- Provide recommendations on improving intercropping and agroforestry practices for the production of groundnuts and soya beans in the Eastern Province
- Closely collaborate with international and national research organisation(s) on the above subjects and integration of research results into the project approach.
- Provide technical input e.g. training materials and communication/extension channels used by the project
- Engage relevant stakeholders
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in agriculture, forestry or a related field
- 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Driving licence minimum of a ‘B’ class
- expertise in agroforestry production systems including silvo-pastoral systems
- excellent knowledge of climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies for small-scale farmers
- good knowledge of the livestock sector (ideally dairy)
- collaboration experience with international research organisations
- excellent networking skills, communication and writing skills
- good organisational skills
- excellent interpersonal skills and should be a very good team player
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies and PC applications
- knowledge of local languages (Tonga and/or Chichewa)
- fluent in English
How to Apply
Interested candidates must send their CVs and covering letter electronically quoting the above reference to: [email protected] not later than Friday 15th November 2019 by 15:00 hrs. Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer; therefore, women are strongly encouraged to apply.